Can't remote X

Hi All!

I'm a newbie, and have just discovered running X apps on a remote machine
on a local X server. Weigh kule!

On my campus, I can run an X server (XMix I believe) on a Win95/NT box and
then telnet to a linux box and set my DISPLAY variable to the Win95 IP
address and then run apps on that linux box and they "show up" on the 95
box. This is cool.

Now, for the Thanksgiving weekend, I've traveled 150 miles east (from
Abilene to Ft Worth) to my folks' house, and am using my Debian laptop on
my Mom's ISP and trying to telnet back to my Abilene Debian box. However,
I'm getting an error to the effect that the client is not authorized to
connect to the Xserver. Is this some sort of default setting in Debian
that I need to turn off somewhere, or is it some sort of barrier in Mom's
ISP service, or what?

Any clues as to how I can connect?

PS. I've heard people refer to rlogin and ssh and have kindda gotten the
impression that these are alternative means of "telnetting" in; maybe this
relates to my problem?

 Thanks!

--
Kent West