Part II of Linux Tips and Tricks

Hi all,

I'm pretty amazed of the amount of feedback i have for what was at the
beginning a personnal project.

Here is my comment of few things:
(it's a compilation, sorry not to have written to each of you separately)

David Zelinksy wrote:
>I suggest you send a note to the author of any posting you intend to put on
>your web page, asking permission.  Though I expect few people would object,
>some might prefer not to have their email address and/or name included.

ok that will lead more trouble and more work but i see it better that way too.
so i hope that you all won't be upset against me if you received from me many
emails asking your permission to put your tip on the page ;-)

also many times there are more than answer to one question. i hope that
everyone won't be upset if i use only one answer (that is one author)

please note also that my aim is not to record all tips i find here (or
elsewhere)
first because there are too many and second because i don't have the time to.

Completely subjectively, i adding only the ones i prefer.

>At the very least, it would be courteous to notify the author that his or her
>message might appear on the web.  Without this, most people would assume their
>postings will only appear here, and in the Debian list archives.

ok that will be done.

David Karlin wrote:
>Perhaps if you see a tip you'd like to add, perhaps you could ask
>the person if he/she would like to:
> (a)have his/her tip included in your database (very likely, but it
>    would be simply courteous to ask first)
> (b)have his/her name and/or email listed with the tip

i will do that.
my only fear is that it will lead to many many email exchanges, but there is
probably no other good ways...

>If the tip came from this mailing list, you could find the person's
>name and email address in the list archives.

i've just done that and find old previous tips authors.
so i'm emailing them right now.

Mark Phillips wrote:
>I've had a look at the tips and tricks page and it is a good effort.  The
>only query is about whether we are reinventing the wheel.  We have the
>FAQ-O-MATIC on the debian web site:
>
>        http://www.debian.org/fom/1.html
>
>It would be good if all sorts of tips and tricks went into here.  There
>are already quite a number, but adding more would be great.
>
>Also, the FAQ-O-MATIC doesn't seem to have a link from the main page.
>This might be a good idea.

Here is my comment about FOM. I knew that before i started.
First my project was personal at the beginning. I was collecting tips for
myself, and settled once to order them a little better.
Then i imagine that it could be helpful to others.. so i've put it in my web
page, but i didn't expect so much answers !

I find *many* differences between LTT and FOM
-FOM is Debian-centric, and although i'm using (and i will use) a lot of debian
lists for LTT, i'm clearly open to other sources...
I like debian and i use debian so i haven't bother to subscribe to other
mailing-list like ReDhat's and such but some people have already pointed me to
other sources.
-I've also found in FOM some tips not credited !
OK i've made that mistake with LTT too but i'm correcting that right now and it
should be ok in few hours (an author for each tip)
-I've received many answers, from readers of debian-user and other, and no one
mentioned FOM, probably because it is not well-known.  I definitively think it
souhld appear somewhere !
-Main problem i find with FOM : no position in time
I've bothered to add the time i collected a tip, because i think things like
that are moving so fast that old things could no longer be correct .
In fact everything is still fresh, but someone already told me one tip is
outdated !! So i think to have the time somewhere is mandatory.
-I think LTT is more ordered, because there are already more sections, and
nothing is hard coded, so i will add sections when i will need them
and one tip can appear in many sections at the same time.

I think FOM is more 'official' and 'Debian-centered'.
Both projects I think can survive together.

Of course (like someone else said) the mailing-lists by itself are a definitive
source. The only problem when you search them is the amount of answers.
I think something like LTT can be useful because i'm editing (promise : i will
ask authors first) the text and putting keywords (in meta tags) that will be
used by htdig as soon as i add it => the search will be better i think.

Thanks all for your input and feedback,
Patrick

PS: because i haven't said it before, sorry for my English mistakes, as my
mother language is French.

Patrick M.   pat@patoche.org    http://www.patoche.org/
Sysadmin of patoche.org, globenet.org, bde.espci.fr