Re: PPP options for different providers - how ?

*- Chang, FKK wrote about "PPP options for different providers - how ?"
> Hello all,
>
> I hope someone can help me with the following problem.
>
> I have three providers, with different names, so that i can
> use "pon <name1>" etc. The scripts are made with pppconfig and
> they work.
>
> Problem is, for each one I have different "options", such as
>
> dns xxx.yyy.zzz.uuu
> name "myname"
> auth
>
> etc.
>
> in the file /etc/ppp/options. These should be different for each
> provider (esp. the login name, authentification, etc.). Now it
> only works  for one provider.
>
> How can I make sure that the right options file is read for each
> provider?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Felix

That is what the /etc/ppp/peers directory is for.  In this directory
you have an option file for each provider, see man pppd under the call
option.  This is what pon does.

% cat /usr/bin/pon
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/pppd call ${1:-provider}

>From man pppd

       call name
              Read  options  from  the  file /etc/ppp/peers/name.
              This file may contain privileged options,  such  as
              noauth, even if pppd is not being run by root.  The
              name string may not begin with / or include .. as a
              pathname component.  The format of the options file
              is described below.

Then if you use chatscript then you have to make sure that your 'name'
file calles the appropiate chatscript for that provider.

% cat /etc/ppp/peers/provider
noauth         #pppconfig_noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider -r /var/log/chat-report.
log"  #pppconfig_connect
/dev/ttyS3       #pppconfig_dev
115200      #pppconfig_speed
defaultroute         #pppconfig_route
noipdefault     #pppconfig_ipdefault
user servis  #pppconfig_user
# End of pppconfig controlled lines.  You can add lines below here without
# confusing pppconfig.
persist
#lcp-echo-interval 60
#lcp-echo-failure 3
lock
holdoff 1

% cat /etc/chatscripts/provider
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
REPORT CONNECT
"" AT&FX4M0L0&U11&N31&A3&B2
OK ATDT4946106
CONNECT--CONNECT--CONNECT \d\c

Then you have to set the username and password for each remote host in
you pap-secrets.  I think pppconfig does this as well.

If I am mistaken in something I am sure someone will correct me but
this works for me.

--
Brian
							   - unknown