Re: PPP options for different providers - how ?

>The above file is only for global options to every ppp connection that
>will be made on your box, which rules out username parameters. I generally
>as a rule never touch it. the Debian defaults seem to work okay.

Several pppd versions back there was an option (-u) that specifies such
parameters.  I believe it is now deprecated, but it does still work! :)
When it will stop working is anyone's guess...but, it still does.  I've
been using it for years...it allows you to specify a file from which the
login information is supplied.

Short of using any supplied script to provide the proper options file
for multiple logins, I've always maintained separate ones for each ISP
and use a small script to ensure the correct options file and chatscript
are used for each.

Without the flexibility of the complete options file, it is possible
that you may find an ISP whose link setup defaults simply do not work.
For example, I've experienced using RH's default options file (which
uses only the statement 'lock' and is otherwise devoid of any options)
fails to establish a viable link to specific ISP hardware.  Using an
options file like that, essentially accepts all the defaults of the ISP
setup and since you have no options file, all of the defaults are in
force there...sometimes these will conflict!  Specifically, using that
setup may result in the wrong IP assigned to the link, but only when
certain hardware is on the receiving end of the call, that sort of thing.
The resulting link does not work in that case, of course.  You may also
find the options noipdefault and defaultroute are not set properly for
a particular ISP.

In short, its probably not reasonable to accept the defaults and one
size does not fit all when it comes to the /etc/ppp/options file.  You
may find that out if you do use two or more ISP's!

Paul