Re: PPP options for different providers - how ?

wb2oyc writes:
> Several pppd versions back there was an option (-u) that specifies such
> parameters.  I believe it is now deprecated, but it does still work! :)

	hasler//usr/local/src/ppp/ppp-2.3.5/pppd pppd -u
	pppd: unrecognized option '-u'
	pppd version 2.3 patch level 5

> it allows you to specify a file from which the login information is
> supplied.

The 'call' option does that and more.

> I've always maintained separate ones for each ISP and use a small script
> to ensure the correct options file and chatscript are used for each.

pppconfig generates individual files for each provider in /etc/ppp/peers
and /etc/chatscripts and puts appropriate entries in
/etc/ppp/{pap|chap}-secrets, so that the user can call the correct provider
by typing 'pon <provider>'.

> Without the flexibility of the complete options file, it is possible that
> you may find an ISP whose link setup defaults simply do not work.

The default Debian options file contains a carefully chosen set of options.
All but the security sensitive ones can be overridden by the options given
in a /etc/ppp/peers/<provider> file and passed to pppd with 'pppd call
<provider>'.

> You may also find the options noipdefault and defaultroute are not set
> properly for a particular ISP.

pppconfig allows you to set these (and others) individually for each
provider.  If you chose not to use pppconfig, you can do the same thing by
editing a <provider> file by hand.  Using a global options file and putting
the individual requirements of each provider in a provider file is now the
standard method for pppd (not just for Debian).

> In short, its probably not reasonable to accept the defaults and one size
> does not fit all when it comes to the /etc/ppp/options file.

That is why /etc/ppp/peers exists.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)