Re: PPP options for different providers - how ?

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, wb2oyc wrote:

> >The above file is only for global options to every ppp connection that
> >will be made on your box, which rules out username parameters. I generally
> >as a rule never touch it. the Debian defaults seem to work okay.
>
> Several pppd versions back there was an option (-u) that specifies such
> parameters.  I believe it is now deprecated, but it does still work! :)
> When it will stop working is anyone's guess...but, it still does.  I've
> been using it for years...it allows you to specify a file from which the
> login information is supplied.

Probably similar to the "call" parameter? that is what is used with the
debian "pon" script. this reads the relevant file from /etc/ppp/peers/*
for each set of options.

> In short, its probably not reasonable to accept the defaults and one
> size does not fit all when it comes to the /etc/ppp/options file.  You
> may find that out if you do use two or more ISP's!

Its probably more like one size fits most. Nobody can expect that file to
make everyone happy..

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

          WinErr: 013 Reserved for future mistakes of our developers.