Re: netscape woes

> El Fri, 20 Nov 1998, George Bonser escribió:
>
> >Just exactly what is the procedure now to install netscape? I made the
> >mistake of "upgrading" netscape from slink to 4.07 ... then tried 4.5 ...
> >I have no netscape program anymore. There is a wrapper, if I link to it
> >from, say, /usr/bin, it complains that I have no netscape-real.

I just installed Netscape 4.5 the night before last.

I mounted my contrib cd and copied the whole binary-i386 tree into a directory called
/contrib.  I then downloaded comunicator ( 13MB! what the heck is in this thing?)  and
put in in /tmp.
I next mounted the main binary-i386 to /cdrom , told dselect where to find main and
contrib and selected netscape 4.0 from the package listing.

It installed without a hitch and even put netscape on my menus. ( not exactly where I
wanted it but it was easy enough to copy to the spot where I did want it.)  All in all
a fairly painless procedure.

Question.... the install script that comes with netscape wants to put in in
/usr/local/netscape  while debian wants to put it in /usr/lib/something.   Why is
that?   It makes more sense to me to have 3rd party programs in /usr/local or even in
/usr/lpp the way it would be in AIX.

Question2... Netscape runs fine but takes _forever_ to startup. ( well 40 -50 seconds
anyway)  On the same machine running that other OS the same version on netscape loads
in about 15 seconds.   Is there some tweeking that can be done in linux somewhere to
load programs faster on my machine?

Thanks
Jon