Re: Problem starting X for first time

Kent West <kent.west@infotech.acu.edu> writes:

[snip]

> But to answer your question: I've found that you can generally do a
> Shift-PgUp to recall the last 2 or 3 screens of info. It's a really handy
> feature.

But it stops working when X starts, because the VGA memory the
scrollback buffer uses gets used by X.  (This is a gross
oversimplification.)

Try something like:

$ startx >> X.log 2>&1

If you want to see the messages go flying by, that would be:

$ startx 2>&1 | tee -a X.log

Another handy program is SuperProbe, to make sure your idea of what
the card is matches X's idea.

"Is there anyone who actually believes that USAicans are so modest or
intellectually honest as to be unable to find someone to sue?" - Cameron Laird