RE: Problem starting X for first time

At 07:50 AM 11/20/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I have been able to get it working in VGA mode, but am still unsuccessful in
>getting any more color depth.  How do I get to the information above what I
>printed?  My screen blanks out and then I see the last screen.  Is there
>some way to scroll up to see the error messages that happened before the
>last screen?
>
>Bret Craw
>Maintenance Renewal

Feel free to reply to me directly, but I suggest you also CC the
debian-user list; I'm not nearly as experienced/knowledgeable as many of
those folks.

But to answer your question: I've found that you can generally do a
Shift-PgUp to recall the last 2 or 3 screens of info. It's a really handy
feature.

Now that you know you can get VGA mode working, you might try backing up
your XF86Config file (just cp XF86Config XF86Config.bak in the /etc/X11
directory) and then run XF86Setup, only this time go for the higher
resolution and deeper color depth. I don't recall off-hand exactly where
the color depth setting is, but it's either on the card setup page or the
monitor setup page, perhaps under the Advanced Options (or whatever button
it is). If you don't get usable results from this, you can always restore
you original XF86Config file.