Randomish floppy failures during installation..

Hey Debianites...

I'm trying to install Debian on an IBM Laptop (ThinkPad 755C).  I'm using
the standard disk sets: resc1440.bin, drv1440.bin, and base14-x.bin.  (By
the way, I have installed Debian before, on a Desktop, and had no real
problems.)

The installation goes along fine until it gets to the "Install Operating
System Kernel and Modules" part.  I select it, then <Yes> the first
confirmation box, and choose '/dev/fd0' as the installation medium.

The next thing that happens, an error in the background says '/dev/fd0:
device not configured', and I'm prompted for the Rescue Floppy, which is
already in.

I hit <Continue>, and a dialog comes up that says "Unable to mount Rescue
Floppy".
This dialog secretly covers up a message in the background that says 'Mount
/dev/fd0 (type msdos) on /floppy: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block devicelock
on /dev/fd0'
I like the fact that 'block devicelock' rhymes, but don't know what it
means.

Now then, (and this is the 'Randomish' part, as in Subject), once in a
while it says 'Cannot read /floppy/type.txt'.

I could've done something really dumb, that's for certain.  I've been
having the worst luck today... nothing I've worked on has worked.

Any help would be thrilling, so thanks in advance,
-Ryan King