Re: How to manually install minimal system

	Subject: Re: How to manually install minimal system
	Date: Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 10:31:22PM +0000

Quoting Robert Wilderspin(antispam@feverish.demon.co.uk):

> On 16 Nov 98 21:40:30 GMT, westk@heir.acu.edu (Kent West) wrote:
>
> >Actually, that's not true. I want to eventually have a usable system, but
> >I want to build it myself, not let an install script do it for me. As part
> >of this process I'll also become somewhat familiar with compiling programs
> >and setting them up manually instead of using .deb files and dselect/apt,
> >etc.
>
> You sound like a man in need of Slackware.  You can do what you're

  [snip]

 Kent, I think that Rob has a good point.  I have been running
Slackware for 3 years now.  It not only taught me a lot, it _made_ me
learn to RTFM and how to search for answers.  If I wanted a new
program I had to learn how to get it, compile it and install it.  It
didn't help me to to that.  I haven't used its package tool since I
installed it.

  Slackware is a great learning tool.  Debian, RedHat, SUSE, etc have
all taken the track of making it easier to get a Linux system running.
In the process you end up learning how to do things ' the
distribution' way and  having to learn 'non-linux-specific' things in
addition to Linux.

  I have run them all and still have a Slackware system for the pure
pleasure of 'doing it my way'.  Of the rest Debian has IMHO more
going for it, but still drives me nuts, on occasion.

BTW, I have no problem with Netscape on Slackware and don't need 2-3
other 'packages' to install & run it.

--
C, n.:
  A programming language that is sort of like Pascal except more like assembly