Re: How to manually install minimal system

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 wtopa@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> 	Subject: Re: How to manually install minimal system
> 	Date: Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 10:31:22PM +0000

> Quoting Robert Wilderspin(antispam@feverish.demon.co.uk):
> >
> > On 16 Nov 98 21:40:30 GMT, westk@heir.acu.edu (Kent West) wrote:
> >
> > >Actually, that's not true. I want to eventually have a usable system, but
> > >I want to build it myself, not let an install script do it for me. As part
> > >of this process I'll also become somewhat familiar with compiling programs
> > >and setting them up manually instead of using .deb files and dselect/apt,
> > >etc.
> > ~~
> > You sound like a man in need of Slackware.  You can do what you're
>
>   [snip]
>
>  Kent, I think that Rob has a good point.  I have been running
> Slackware for 3 years now.  It not only taught me a lot, it _made_ me
> learn to RTFM and how to search for answers.  If I wanted a new
> program I had to learn how to get it, compile it and install it.  It
> didn't help me to to that.  I haven't used its package tool since I
> installed it.
>
>   Slackware is a great learning tool.  Debian, RedHat, SUSE, etc have
> all taken the track of making it easier to get a Linux system running.
> In the process you end up learning how to do things ' the
> distribution' way and  having to learn 'non-linux-specific' things in
> addition to Linux.
>
>   I have run them all and still have a Slackware system for the pure
> pleasure of 'doing it my way'.  Of the rest Debian has IMHO more
> going for it, but still drives me nuts, on occasion.
>

> BTW, I have no problem with Netscape on Slackware and don't need 2-3
> other 'packages' to install & run it.
>

> > Rob Wilderspin
> > --
> > "But I need it to crash once every few days -
> > reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."
> > ----------------------= (send replies to rob@)

Actually, I had decided to use Slackware for this project even before
posting my original message. Problem is, I still haven't been able to find
the info I need to do the installation manually. Everything I've found
walks me through the manual fdisk and mke2fs steps, but then tells me to
run setup, which of course, I don't want to do.

I was hesitant to post this to a debian list (I still plan to use debian
everywhere else), but I didn't know where else to turn since my web
searches weren't doing me much good.

So, do you perhaps know of a good source of info for walking me through a
manual install of slackware? A previous answer to this post gave me some
good info, but I was hoping more for a specific, step-by-step tutorial,
perhaps akin to Our Man Pann's walk-through for normal installs.

Thanks!

 --
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu