Re: Using sound on Debian?

> This may sound as a stupid question, but I cannot figure out
> how to use sound on debian 2.0 system. I never used debian
> before and I installed it only recently.
>
> When I run 'saytime', logged in as root, I get error
> message:
>
> opening /dev/audio: Operation not supported by device
>
> and /dev/audio is:
>
> crw-rw----  root audio   14, 4

[...]
> I don't remember any choices I had to made during the
> installation that had anything to do with sound. I have SB16
> ISA card which works OK under Win95.
>
> What have I missed?

You have no device driver for audio installed.  /dev/audio
show up anyway, but won't work without a device.

Install the kernel source, usually in /usr/src/linux
Read the README file (in /usr/src/linux),
you may need to fix some symlinks.

Then do a "make menuconfig" in that directory.  Select the sound
hardware you have.  Also look at all the other options.
Removing drivers for equipment you don't have will save some memory.
Maybe there are other drivers you want to enable too.

When finished, do a "make dep zlilo"  If you get an error
about too big a kernel, use "make bzImage".
If you compiled some drivers as modules, do a "make modules modules_install"
too.

Helge Hafting
helge.hafting@daldata.no