Using sound on Debian?

This may sound as a stupid question, but I cannot figure out
how to use sound on debian 2.0 system. I never used debian
before and I installed it only recently.

When I run 'saytime', logged in as root, I get error
message:

opening /dev/audio: Operation not supported by device

and /dev/audio is:

crw-rw----  root audio   14, 4

Similarly, when I run 'asmixer', I get:

asmixer: unable to grab /dev/mixer

and /dev/mixer exists with the following permissions:

crw-rw----   root  audio   14, 0

I don't remember any choices I had to made during the
installation that had anything to do with sound. I have SB16
ISA card which works OK under Win95.

What have I missed?

Regards,
Milan