Setting up My Modem

I am unsure how to set up my modem under Debian.
It is attached to COM 2 in DOS (WIN98 actually) and is a 56K V.90 and K56Flex dual-mode modem running on a P2 system.
When installing, wvdial was unable to detect the modem, although it has run perfectly under Win.
The modem is a Zoomtel Model 2919

I would appreciate any help I can get on this, and would especially appreciate very specific instructions; ie please consider me a complete Unix and Linux imbecile when giving any instructions.

Thanks