Re: [HalloweenII] RedHat and Debian:

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Jaakko Niemi wrote:

>  Note: at work I see at least 2 boxes per day that can be fixed
>  only by reinstalling 95/98/NT. It's mildly put SICK.

As a tech support person for a university, I say "AMEN!"

> >> Goodness knows if it is possible to transfer your NT installation to
> >> another disk though. Buy a new root disk -> reinstall? It would appear so.
>
>  Or use DriveImage from Powerquest or Ghost from GhostSoftware.
>
>  Several our clients use a 95 or NT disk image that takes 10 minutes
>  to drop from network if one needs a reinstall or installing on clean box.
>  They keep all user files on network drives.

Once we get enough network drive space, we'll probably move to this model
(unless by that time we've wisened up as a campus and have moved to Linux
on the desktop). But as I've played with it, this still doesn't solve the
problem, because unless you're REAL careful setting up the box originally
(and even then you'll miss something), user files won't all get stored on
the network. For example, Netscape bookmarks and WP preferences and stuff
they've downloaded from the web and etc, etc don't look to the
personal/home directory when determining where to save files. Just a
"feature" of Windows I suppose.