Re: Some Questions

> > 1. Will a Zip Drive work with Debian Linux? When I attach it now the PC
> > refuses to do anything. No memory count, nothing. This may be a hardware
> > problem, but if you know something please let me know.
> Yes (is the answer to the first question. .... The second issue is a bit
> more puzzling. ... I assume you are rebooting when you attach the Zip
> drive (How? are you doing a warm --reset-- start or driving the maching
> from scratch. Not that this should make a difference.)
> It sounds like there is some bios confilct arising from the inclusion of
> your zip drive .... Weirdness 1000!!! I always thought that the machine
> did a mem check before it began probing the different ports?
> ... Ah ha is there a short on the zip drive? Check if the same thing
> happens on a different machine. I know from bitter experience that as
> brief short in your machine can force it to reboot ... if the connection
> is not transient ... will it restart at all? see also

I concur; I've seen weird boot problems after a device had been plugged
in go away when the device is unplugged. Don't only suspect the zip drive;
suspect the lpt port also. Did you have a printer plugged in? If not, and
you have one, plug it in and see if you get a similar lockup. You might be
able to fix the problem simply by reseating/moving the lpt card.

> > 3. I would like to install X next. But have no clue what files I need. I
> > have downloaded the entire X11 directory, but sine I have to install from
> > floppies I need to know which files I need first, and how to install them.
> If I fully understand you, you have the X-set, x1, x2, ... x?? on
> floppies. What you need to do is to (logged on as root) stick the x1
> disk into the floppy drive and run 'setup'. Follow the instructions on the
> screen (target, source media, etc ) and you should be fine. I haven't done
> this in years so I cannot give you a blow by blow. But I think you would
> manage alright (much disk changing and pray that all the disks are
> intact).
>
> Another thing you might try is to get your network running (in textmode)
> and then do an nfs install with dselect. It is more straightforward than
> it sounds.
> 	(a) Get ppp working, (b) mount the source directory (sunsite or
> wherever ... the instructions as to how to do this? .. If you are
> intersted, and stuck, I could dig them up for you. I know that
> sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk has a page on how to connect to their ftp achives
> which gives the information) nfs (c) run deselect
> Happy singing and dancing ...

Again, I concur. Once you have your network running (either dial-up ppp or
on an ethernet connection, etc), you can use dselect, which is Debian's
"installer/deinstaller". I think you'll find it to be easier than trying
to manually download/install/configure apps.