Re: Some Questions

Hi Jim,
	Now lets walk through your email ..
On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Jimmy wrote:

> I have just recently decided to use Linux on one of my boxes and have access
> to a T1 and a Zip Drive so I've just been downloading what I need a little
> at a time. I have a question or two but would like for you to make the
> following assumptions.
>
> 1. I am an idiot.
We will do such thing

> 2. I know nothing about Linux or any operating system in the Unix family.
Humm,

> 3. I am of course using Debian and would prefer to keep it that way for now,
> I may consider an alternate later, but thats later.
> 4. I have the base operating system installed and it is working.
Which proves the assumption (1) to be false.

> Now that we have established I am an idiot here are my questions.
Again, false conjecture!

> 1. Will a Zip Drive work with Debian Linux? When I attach it now the PC
> refuses to do anything. No memory count, nothing. This may be a hardware
> problem, but if you know something please let me know.
Yes (is the answer to the first question. .... The second issue is a bit
more puzzling. ... I assume you are rebooting when you attach the Zip
drive (How? are you doing a warm --reset-- start or driving the maching
from scratch. Not that this should make a difference.)
It sounds like there is some bios confilct arising from the inclusion of
your zip drive .... Weirdness 1000!!! I always thought that the machine
did a mem check before it began probing the different ports?
... Ah ha is there a short on the zip drive? Check if the same thing
happens on a different machine. I know from bitter experience that as
brief short in your machine can force it to reboot ... if the connection
is not transient ... will it restart at all? see also

	http://sagan.earthspace.net/jargon/jargon_46.html#SEC53

> 2. The CD-rom is this machine is a Chinon drive that uses a Jewel Case and
> has a proprietary SCSI card. I have the DOS driver, but it is reported as
> not working at boot.
No response to this one ... one should not have an answer to everything.
It makes one look too smooth and does not endear ones peers

> 3. I would like to install X next. But have no clue what files I need. I
> have downloaded the entire X11 directory, but sine I have to install from
> floppies I need to know which files I need first, and how to install them.
If I fully understand you, you have the X-set, x1, x2, ... x?? on
floppies. What you need to do is to (logged on as root) stick the x1
disk into the floppy drive and run 'setup'. Follow the instructions on the
screen (target, source media, etc ) and you should be fine. I haven't done
this in years so I cannot give you a blow by blow. But I think you would
manage alright (much disk changing and pray that all the disks are
intact).

Another thing you might try is to get your network running (in textmode)
and then do an nfs install with dselect. It is more straightforward than
it sounds.
	(a) Get ppp working, (b) mount the source directory (sunsite or
wherever ... the instructions as to how to do this? .. If you are
intersted, and stuck, I could dig them up for you. I know that
sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk has a page on how to connect to their ftp achives
which gives the information) nfs (c) run deselect
Happy singing and dancing ...

	Agape

> If anyone has the inclination to read this and give me a little assistance I
> would be greatful, but please don't tell me to RTFM as I don't have one yet.
>
> =)
>
> Later.
>
> Jimmy
>

> --

---
Jonathan Lawson
Thermal Processes Unit
Department of Applied Energy and Optical Diagnostics
School of Mechanical Engineering,
Cranfield  University,
Cranfield, Bedford. UK.
email j.lawson@cranfield.ac.uk

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings,
	that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good,
		that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion,
			Thy God reigneth!

									Isaiah 52:7