Re: Some Questions

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 09:41:46PM -0500, Jimmy wrote:
> I have just recently decided to use Linux on one of my boxes and have access
> to a T1 and a Zip Drive so I've just been downloading what I need a little
> at a time. I have a question or two but would like for you to make the
> following assumptions.
>
> 1. I am an idiot.
> 2. I know nothing about Linux or any operating system in the Unix family.

> 3. I am of course using Debian and would prefer to keep it that way for now,
> I may consider an alternate later, but thats later.
> 4. I have the base operating system installed and it is working.
>
> Now that we have established I am an idiot here are my questions.
>
> 1. Will a Zip Drive work with Debian Linux? When I attach it now the PC
> refuses to do anything. No memory count, nothing. This may be a hardware
> problem, but if you know something please let me know.
>
> 2. The CD-rom is this machine is a Chinon drive that uses a Jewel Case and
> has a proprietary SCSI card. I have the DOS driver, but it is reported as
> not working at boot.

 Check the Hardware-HOWTO(
 ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO). I did a brief
 search for both "Chinon" and "Jewel", but didn't find anything. The DOS
 driver isn't going to help you much, I'm afraid, drivers are pretty-much OS
 dependant (hell, win95 drivers don't even work with NT).

If you get a cdrom working (you may have to get another one. Particularly
proprietry and obscure hardware isn't always supported), it's probably easiest
to beg, borrow or buy a debian CD. It makes installation much easier.

> 3. I would like to install X next. But have no clue what files I need. I
> have downloaded the entire X11 directory, but sine I have to install from
> floppies I need to know which files I need first, and how to install them.

you'll need the xbase, xlib6 and an appropriate xserver package. xserver-vga16
should work with any halfway modern video hardware. For better performance you
can install one specific to your video card (eg xserver-s3). That of course
doesn't give you any programs to run. Try installing xcontrib and xterm for a
minimal X. After installation, read stuff in /usr/doc and run one of the
configuration programs.

> If anyone has the inclination to read this and give me a little assistance I
> would be greatful, but please don't tell me to RTFM as I don't have one yet.

documentation for installed packages etc. is in /usr/doc. There are plenty of
FMs at http://www.linuxhq.com/LDP/ also.