Re: Emacs command line option

Adam Lazur <ajl4@eecs.lehigh.edu> writes:

> > The second point is that I don't want emacs to always use
> > auto-fill-mode but only if it is invoked by mutt.
> > But I noticed that the auto-fill-mode breaks always at 70 chars. Even
> > if I try to override the value. Strange thing.
>
> here's what I have in my ~/.muttrc to accomplish the auto-fill-mode
> when emacs is invoked from mutt.
>
> set editor="emacs -nw %s --eval '(setq make-backup-files nil) (auto-fill-mode)'"
>
> though all you really need is:
>
> set editor="emacs %s --eval '(auto-fill-mode)'"

You can set emacs to auto-fill at any column number any time you want
by evaluating:

(auto-fill-mode 70)    or any number you choose to wrap at.

In emacs press M-:  you will see a prompt saying

Eval:
Type (auto-fill-mode <any number)   and press <RET> it will be
evaluated and used on that buffer.

This is what the muttrc line is doing too.

--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.1