Re: Emacs command line option

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Mika Fischer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've got a problem with Emacs. I want it to be started in auto-fill-mode.
> No problem so far. But I have to use an numeric argument with it.
> This is not possible with the '-f' CMD-line option.
>
> So how can I start Emacs in 'auto-fill-mode 70'?

I struggled a lot with that but I finally got it working. I seem
remebering having to change one of the .el files in the mode but I cannot
remember what I finally did to get it working. Anyway here are the two
lines I got in my .emacs start-up file

(setq-default fill-column 78)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

One reason some people are disgusted with emacs is the changes that RMS
and company puts in emacs files. Everytime a new version comes up it seems
to break some old code that used to work.
Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                          daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	            http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa         (w) 27+21+650 2816  (h) 27+21+705 8469