Re: Problems with xbase/xserver upgrade

Don't you folks read the READMEs? There's stated that the XFree
packages are split up in several minor ones now, so for example xterm
and xdm has got their own packages each, xf86setup too, some client
packages (like xset) has gone in xbase-clients, there is a new package
xserver-common and so on. I think to read the docs before upgrading
such an important package should be a must and quite clear for
everyone!

My Tip: I use for upgrading dftp, which lets you read at least the
package description and checks the dependancies before downloading
something.

Greetings,
joachim

"Pat O'Brien" <plobrien@pacificnet.net> writes:

> Torsten Hilbrich wrote:
>
> > On: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:04:35 -0400 Mark H Mabry writes:
> > >
> > > I've been running slink for a few weeks.  Last night I upgraded and
> > > xbase and xserver failed to install.  What is worse is that somehow
> > > they deleted (at least) the "xdm" executable.  Some of the message
> > > during the failure said that the file
> > >
> > > /var/dpkg/(i forgot dirname)/tmp.ci/preinst
> > >
> > > does not exist.  When I went to look for preinst, I found that the
> > > dir "tmp.ci" didn't exist.  Does anyone know what the problem is
> > > here?  Any workarounds?
> >
> > Install the previous version of these packages.  I remember having
> > read a warning regarding this in the last days, let's see if I find
> > them ...
> >
> > Yep, found:

[...]