Re: Problems with xbase/xserver upgrade

upp105@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de said:
> Don't you folks read the READMEs? There's stated that the XFree
> packages are split up in several minor ones now, so for example xterm
> and xdm has got their own packages each, xf86setup too, some client
> packages (like xset) has gone in xbase-clients, there is a new package
> xserver-common and so on. I think to read the docs before upgrading
> such an important package should be a must and quite clear for
> everyone!

> My Tip: I use for upgrading dftp, which lets you read at least the
> package description and checks the dependancies before downloading
> something.

Ahhh, exactly.  You cannot read the README until you have downloaded and
installed the .deb.  The package description said nothing about this major
package split, as far as I remember.  I suppose if I had some reason to
suspect that this change to the X packages, which was only a minor revision
number change, would be such a major change, I would have gone to the trouble
getting more info before installing.

Anyhow, the following day, I read the README and got the xdm, xterm, etc
packages.  And fortunately that day's xbase and xserver packages installed
correctly for me and everything is now working fine.