Re: Problems with xbase/xserver upgrade

Torsten Hilbrich wrote:

> On: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:04:35 -0400 Mark H Mabry writes:
> >
> > I've been running slink for a few weeks.  Last night I upgraded and
> > xbase and xserver failed to install.  What is worse is that somehow
> > they deleted (at least) the "xdm" executable.  Some of the message
> > during the failure said that the file
> >
> > /var/dpkg/(i forgot dirname)/tmp.ci/preinst
> >
> > does not exist.  When I went to look for preinst, I found that the
> > dir "tmp.ci" didn't exist.  Does anyone know what the problem is
> > here?  Any workarounds?
>
> Install the previous version of these packages.  I remember having
> read a warning regarding this in the last days, let's see if I find
> them ...
>
> Yep, found:
>
>  [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
>  I just want to reiterate my warning to everyone that the new X packages are
>  not ready for prime time yet.  Only those willing to help debug silly
>  packaging errors should use the new version (3.3.2.3a-3).  Other should use
>  dpkg or dselect to put their X packages on hold.
>
>  Those who do not auto-upgrade from the slink tree have nothing to worry
>  about.
>
>  I'm working on 3.3.2.3a-4 now.  Thanks to Joseph Carter for helping find
>  some bugs in -3.
>
>  --
>  G. Branden Robinson              |   The only way to get rid of a temptation
>  Debian GNU/Linux                 |   is to yield to it.
>  branden@ecn.purdue.edu           |   -- Oscar Wilde
>  cartoon.ecn.purdue.edu/~branden/ |
>  [2  <application/pgp-signature>]
>
> I set all X11 packages on hold (as well as Emacs and XEmacs[1]) and
> tetex-bin which has some problems too.
>
>         Torsten
>
> Footnotes:
> [1] I don't want to update Emacsen every 2nd day.
>
> --

I, too, did an auto update, and had a problem with X.  However, having played around
with it so much lately I decided to take go at reconfiguring it by hand, and
discovered the only thing blown out was /etc/Xserver. I simply reinserted the Xserver
I use, XF86_SVGA and ran startx, and it popped right back up.  I can't help with xdm,
but maybe startx will get you going.

My main problem now is when I run XF86Setup, I get a message saying not all of the X
keyboard extensions programs & configuration files are installed. The file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/README is missing. And sure enough it is....
But, my X is up and running, so I'll wait til it gets fixed to worry about it....

pat