Re: Debian Questions

	Subject: Re: Debian Questions
	Date: Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 06:40:16PM +1100

Quoting Hamish Moffatt(hamish@debian.org):

> On Wed, Oct 28, 1998 at 09:24:44PM +0000, wtopa@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >   The stock qmail program itself only goes into /var/qmail, which is how
> > I prefer it.
>
> If we installed every upstream program where the stock installation
> goes, it would be an extremely difficult system to use and administer.
> Even Slackware doesn't do this.

  That, to me, means that there might have to be two sets of docs or
howto's written in order to follow the program flow.  That was the
case for qmail anyway.  That makes for a system that is very difficult
to understand, use and administer IMHO.

> This is why the FSSTND (file system standard) and FHS
> (filesystem hierarchy(?) standard) exist.

You have a point here that I have no arguement against.

> The fascination with qmail escapes me. The author seems to be
> recalcitrant.

I guess its because I first installed qmail, on slackware, when I was
frustrated with trying to work tru the 'Bat Book'. It took only a few
days to install, setup and understand the concept, of qmail, and then
it worked fine for my application and I understood how it worked.
That was not the case with sendmail.

 I realize that I now have qmail installed _not_ as a debian package
and that sort of breaks the rules, but as I have the same setup on a
Slackware box also, it make for easy admin for me.  Neither system's
package administration knows about qmail.  I do tho.

  Someone mentioned a debian package, called Menu I believe, that
might be used to document how I have installed qmail.  I was planning
on trying that next.

  Thanks for your comments.  I have been installing my own programs
for so long, without benefit of a package manager, that I am sort of
set in my ways.  I tried Redhat, Caldera, and SUSE and found that they
all had to do things _their_ way so much, it left me at their mercy.
Thats why, after 3 years, I came back to try Debian again.  So far I
prefer it, with reservations, to all but Slackware.

Wayne   WA1BBB