Re: Two idential root partitions - how?

mark mentioned,

> On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, wb2oyc wrote:
>
> > 1st question; is this all one big disk?  For what follows, I'm assuming
> > it is.  I like to do something like this....

> > 100M /
> > 64M  swap
> > 100M /var (and I prefer putting this on a 2nd disk if possible)
> > whatever's left for /usr  if its all on a single disk.  If there is a
> > 2nd disk, I also like putting /etc and /home there, preferring to put
> > any additional root or additional Linux root on the 1st.

> It is all one big disk.

> > I also think you're more likely to lose a disk, than you would blow up
> > your root partition.  Thats been my experience.  Another reason for the
> > 2nd disk.  Also why getting /var off the root makes good sense to me.
>
> Hmm.  From what you're saying here, and from what other responses have
> said, perhaps having separate partitions is not that useful.  Also, there
> seems to be lots more issues involved when you start using several
> partitions.  I've decided the simplest option is to go back to a single
> partition - what I've done before.

I don't find the extra partitions all that usefule.  What I do find
useful, though, is a second bootable linux, so that you can fix the
main one after having a bright idea :)

Having /home on a separate partition can be nice, so that it can be
mounted under other linux's.  (*DON'T* mount it under FreeBSD.  At
least as of two weeks ago, it didn't handle htem properly, even with
ext2 support compiled in.  It didn't munge the partition, but
individual files weren't written properly. THey got extra stuff or
garbage put in).

Anyway, /home has a partition on my macghine, and /boot is it's own
little partition.  It's at the beginning of the drive, to keep LILO
happy.  It also has a minimal installation on it, and  an entry in
lilo.config.

rick