Re: Security problem

> > > The  bug is real, and Debian has a fix.  See security
> > > lists in Debian. If you  are running Debian 2.0
> > > you might have a security hole. There was also security
> > > problems with bind.  The fixes appear in the current distributions
> > > (2.0.2 I think) not in package-updates.
> >
> > Why the bloody hell not?
>
> I think that it was moved from package-updates to the main distribution
> so that  if you downloaded it or purchased a new cdrom, it would
> have the updates in it.  Seems reasonable.

Correct. This is also explained in the README in the proposed-updates
directory. The idea is that you run dselect (or apt-get) on stable every
couple of weeks to stay up-to-date with fixes for security holes and other
major bugs.

> > Sorry, this makes me angry. Debian does a whole lot on finding these
> > holes, then spreading the information they are there, but then every one
> > has to read at least debian-user or visit the security page on the web to
> > find out. [...]

Well, you can also subscribe to debian-security-announce@lists.debian.org
Information about every security fix released by Debian is posted there.
(To subscribe, send an email to
debian-security-announce-request@lists.debian.org with the single word
'subscribe' in the subject of the message. And if you're wondering, an
announcement about the security-announce list was sent to debian-announce
on its creation.)

Thanks,

  Christian
  Debian Security