Re: HELP: Repair of tar.gz files??

In article <[🔎] 70nu3m$77j$1@renehl.ournet.dk> you wrote:
>  Rick Younie wrote:
> > If the file was corrupted by being transferred in ascii mode
> > instead of binary, you can fix it.  There's a program in the
> > window's world called NOCRLF that will do it.  Or if you have a
> > language or a good hex editor, replace the carriage return/line
> > feed pairs with a linefeed and that will fix.
>
>  No, generally you can't fix binary files downloaded in ASCII mode.  The CR
>  -> CR/LF transformation is irreversible for binary files.  That is, there
>  may have been some (valid) CR/LF's in the binary file at first, which will
>  then be converted into CR's by the reverse transformation.
>
>  If you're lucky it might work, though.

Yeah, when the tech on my ISP posted this I emailed him directly
rather than posting to the newsgroup so as not to embarrass him.
We've probably all heard 'irretrievably corrupted' many times
over the years; it's common knowledge.

But it works.  I've done it and it never fails if this is the
cause of the corruption.  As he patiently explained to me, it
works because any legal cr/lf's are converted to cr/cr/lf and you
convert them back to cr/lf.  If you were doing this recursively,
that would be a problem.

Best,
Rick