Re: Help me setup dynamic DNS server address.

john@dhh.gt.org writes:
 > John writes:
 > > Write a script to go in ip-up.d that does something like:
 >
 > Yes, I could do this, but I don't need to: my isp doesn't use 'dynamic
 > dns'.
 >
 > My interest is in helping new users whose isp's won't tell them the
 > nameserver ip's because they use dynamic dns.  Someone reminded me that
 > pppd is able to provide dynamic dns to Windows clients, so I can figure it
 > out from the source.
 >
 > If I can't figure out how to provide a dynamic dns 'client' I can think of
 > several workarounds.

I suspect I'm not getting everything on the list then, as I had no
idea of the context. Nevertheless, I use a setup like I described
before on my home machine as the DNS at my ISP is so unreliable (runs
on NT!), and their secondary server moves around a lot. .

I pull the SOA from a biggish nameserver (identified by IP
address), and then use that to recursively dig till I find the name
server that knows what my dial-in line is called. I then reset my
hostname and mail configs. I only need to know 1 IP (that of
ns1.telstra.net - 139.130.4.5 ) and the domain-name of my ISP.

John F.