Re: Pine Attachment Associations

"Stephen A. Witt" <sawitt@electra.fu.hac.com> writes:

> I'm using Pine 4.05 on a Debian 2.0 platform at work.  MS Office is the
> standard desktop automation application around here except for a small
> band of Unix enthusiasts.  I've just installed Star Office, mostly so I
> can read the MS Word documents everybody sends me.  I'm trying to
> reconfigure Pine so that it will automatically start up swriter3 for a
> attachment type of DOC.  I thought the way to do that was to change
> /etc/mime.types, which I did.  I modified the line that specified msword
> as the application for doc and dot files to be swriter3, but Pine still
> thinks its an MSWORD application.  I also looked in the /etc/mailcap file
> but didn't find any mention of msword in there.  I've looked on the
> Pine Info site and it mentions this and states that one should
> change the /etc/mime.types file. Anybody have any experience with this?
>
> Thanks...

Changing the /etc/mime.types changes what type will be associated to a
given file, but it doesn't say how to handle it.  That's what
/etc/mailcap is for.  I can only assume that the pine info site
assumes one already has pine configured to handle "swriter3"-type
documents.  In any case, changing /etc/mime.types won't help much for
those attachments which are sent to you already labeled with a type.
(really, most attachments should come with a content-type header).

What you should to do is change /etc/mailcap to tell pine how to open
ms-word files, and change /etc/mime.types _back_ to saying
application/msword for doc files.

To change /etc/mailcap, add the following (all as one long line) to
the end:

application/msword; swriter3 %s; test=test "$DISPLAY" != ""; description=M$ Word document; nametemplate=%s.doc

Since it appears that you're getting documents labeled with the type
application/MSWORD you may also want to add:

application/MSWORD; swriter3 %s; test=test "$DISPLAY" != ""; description=M$ Word document; nametemplate=%s.doc

to /etc/mailcap as well; I don't know if mime types are case sensitive.