Pine Attachment Associations

I'm using Pine 4.05 on a Debian 2.0 platform at work.  MS Office is the
standard desktop automation application around here except for a small
band of Unix enthusiasts.  I've just installed Star Office, mostly so I
can read the MS Word documents everybody sends me.  I'm trying to
reconfigure Pine so that it will automatically start up swriter3 for a
attachment type of DOC.  I thought the way to do that was to change
/etc/mime.types, which I did.  I modified the line that specified msword
as the application for doc and dot files to be swriter3, but Pine still
thinks its an MSWORD application.  I also looked in the /etc/mailcap file
but didn't find any mention of msword in there.  I've looked on the
Pine Info site and it mentions this and states that one should
change the /etc/mime.types file. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks...