aha2840 aiee shuting down interrupts

I tried to install debian on a computer with an adaptec 2840 scsi
controller. (gateway 2000 486dx2-66, 16m dram) At first I had the 2840
bios disabled and the controller with 3 drives attached was not
detected.  Then I enabled the bios on the 2840 and the controller was
detected.  A message 'resetting channel' appeared, then a pause, then
a screen dump 'oops .....
ending with ..... aiee shuting down interrupts'

What parameters do I need to add at the boot prompt?
I tried boot: aic7xxx=no_reset and got
'no image aic7xxx=no_reset'.  So i tried
'linux aic7xxx=no_reset' and 'linux aic7xxx=1' and got the same screen
dump.  What gives, I thought this controller was supported.  This
computer's cd rom is scsi so I need the controller to install.  (it's
set at irq 15 instead of the default value of 11).  Can anyone help
here?