Re: Security problem

My message was not clear.

We did not mount /etc writable.  The hacker sent a a long packet
which we think overflowed buffer and caused /etc to be mounted
writable.

The  bug is real, and Debian has a fix.  See security
lists in Debian. If you  are running Debian 2.0
you might have a security hole. There was also security
problems with bind.  The fixes appear in the current distributions
(2.0.2 I think) not in package-updates.

King Lee