Re: aha2840 aiee shuting down interrupts

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

 : I tried to install debian on a computer with an adaptec 2840 scsi
 : controller. (gateway 2000 486dx2-66, 16m dram) At first I had the 2840
 : bios disabled and the controller with 3 drives attached was not
 : detected.  Then I enabled the bios on the 2840 and the controller was
 : detected.  A message 'resetting channel' appeared, then a pause, then
 : a screen dump 'oops .....
 : ending with ..... aiee shuting down interrupts'
 :
 : What parameters do I need to add at the boot prompt?
 : I tried boot: aic7xxx=no_reset and got
 : 'no image aic7xxx=no_reset'.  So i tried
 : 'linux aic7xxx=no_reset' and 'linux aic7xxx=1' and got the same screen
 : dump.  What gives, I thought this controller was supported.  This
 : computer's cd rom is scsi so I need the controller to install.  (it's
 : set at irq 15 instead of the default value of 11).  Can anyone help
 : here?

It's supported fine.  However, the other SCSI drivers in the default
kernel send the 2840 over the edge.  Compile a kernel with ONLY the
device support you need, being particularly careful about SCSI drivers
you choose.  Unless you have more than one SCSI adaptor you should only
choose "AIC_7XXX" support.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD