Re: Desperately in need of a Database app....

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:58:25 -0400
"Person, Rod" <RPerson@cvty.com> wrote:

> I am looking for recommendations on a database. Nothing extravagant it
> mainly for home use right now. I'm looking for something to use in X
> along the lines of Access of Claris' db (I always forget the name - and
> I actually prefer this to Access...)

If you are one of those extravagent people who has more than one
computer, you could always run something like PostgreSQL or mySQL and
use their ODBC drivers to use them as a backend, but do all your
database design on Access... I'm thinking of doing this myself at the
moment with my homicide database, but I'm still trying to work out how
to tell mySQL that my other computer is allowed to connect to it...

There also seems to be some nice apps that talk to mySQL coming out (tho
I haven't played with many of them myself). Have a look at
http://freshmeat and search on SQL or mySQL.

BTW, mySQL is in non-free in Hamm.

HTH,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
(damon@empire.net.au)     | As my head fell in the basket,