Kernels from the 2.1 series

I'm thinking of moving over to the 2.1 series kernels, since it seems
that they're pretty stable these days.  Will this make life very much
harder for me?

In particular:

* I believe I'll need this new "kmod" thing rather than the "kerneld"
that I'm used to.  Do I already have this installed?  Do I need a
special package?

* I've heard talk of a change to the behaviour of "chown" that breaks
dpkg.  Do I need a special dpkg?  A special kernel patch?

* Will ps, mount, etc keep going without change?

* Anything I don't know about?

thanks in advance,
--
  __