Kernels from the 2.1 series

Paul Crowley writes:

 > I'm thinking of moving over to the 2.1 series kernels, since it seems
 > that they're pretty stable these days.  Will this make life very much
 > harder for me?

It shouldn't. I installed a 2.1 kernel right after a vanilla setup of
hamm, and haven't had almost any problems. The only problem I remember
is when the init scripts initialize the serial ports, the kernel
complains about invalid ioctl() calls. Probably setserial or some
other thing uses these calls that are no more there in 2.1. It doesn't
hurt functionality though, so I never bothered about it.

 > * I believe I'll need this new "kmod" thing rather than the "kerneld"
 > that I'm used to.  Do I already have this installed?  Do I need a
 > special package?

The whole idea is that it's now part of the kernel (a kernel thread)
and not an external program like kerneld. So you don't need anything
to use it - just the Linux kernel itself. The init scripts in hamm
automatically find out the existanse of kmod and don't start kerneld
in that case.

--
Alex Shnitman
shnitman@mail.jct.ac.il, alexsh@linux.org.il