Re: Kernels from the 2.1 series

In <[🔎] 87vhlgmnay.fsf@hedonism.demon.co.uk>, on 10/19/98
   at 07:14 PM, Paul Crowley <paul@hedonism.demon.co.uk> said:

>I'm thinking of moving over to the 2.1 series kernels, since it seems
>that they're pretty stable these days.  Will this make life very much
>harder for me?
I don't think so.  I am using 2.1.125 with no particular problems.

>In particular:

>* I believe I'll need this new "kmod" thing rather than the "kerneld"
>that I'm used to.  Do I already have this installed?  Do I need a special
>package?
No package needed, kmod is compiled into the kernel.  You may want to set
up a cron job that run "rmmod -a" now and then so unused modules get
unloaded.  "kmod" will load them when needed, but not unload.

The script that start kerneld will stop doing that automatically, and say
something like "this isn't needed, kernel has kmod"  You can disable it if
you don't want the message, or keep it in case you want to go back later.

>* I've heard talk of a change to the behaviour of "chown" that breaks
>dpkg.  Do I need a special dpkg?  A special kernel patch?
dpkg seems to work fine with kernel 2.1.125, wether I run it from
dselect/apt or from a command prompt.

>* Will ps, mount, etc keep going without change?
They will work if they are recent enough.  Take a look at
http://www.linuxhq.com/pgmup21.html for recommended versions.  Hamm is up
to date on (almost) everything.

>* Anything I don't know about?
A 2.1 kernel should work fine, but keep your old kernel around a while
just to be safe.  Set up your /etc/lilo.conf so you may choose kernel at
boot time.
2.1.125 is supposed to be one of the more "stable" development kernels,
but it is also the most recent one at the moment.

Helge Hafting