Re: FYI: DMA/33 and kernels

Quoting bernie@brainiac.com (bernie@brainiac.com):
> On Sat, Oct 17, 1998 at 01:11:25PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> > In my case, no, it is definately a problem with the linux ide driver and
> > how it handles UDMA drives. I have seen exactly the same problem on two
> > different systems with two different hard drives of different manufacture
> > with different motherboards and chipsets. Once I got enough features
> > disabled (turning off the drive's internal readahead with hdparm -A0,
> > turning off multiwrite with -m0, eliminating filesystem readahead with
> > -a0) and turning off enough BIOS features, I finally have a drive that
> >
> I have had two Quantum drives basically eat themselves (the sound they
> make is like an old window shade spring suddenly snapping back with a
> 'whirr' noise). They have been UDMA drives, running on an Asus MB with
> a K6-233, and Debian 2.0 running the default kernel. So I am very much
> interested in what you report!

FWIW, I also had two drives go south. One was a 8G Maxtor, one was a 6G
WesternDigital bought as an emergency replacement for the Maxtor. The
Maxtor started losing things, and the WD had a loud clicking death. I
pulled another 8G Maxtor out of a working system and put it in the linux
machine and haven't had any problems since then. As unlikely as it
seems, I can only conclude that I got burned with two bad drives.

Mike Stone