Re: FYI: DMA/33 and kernels

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Jaakko Niemi wrote:

>  Seems to be a problem with the harddisk.

In my case, no, it is definately a problem with the linux ide driver and
how it handles UDMA drives. I have seen exactly the same problem on two
different systems with two different hard drives of different manufacture
with different motherboards and chipsets. Once I got enough features
disabled (turning off the drive's internal readahead with hdparm -A0,
turning off multiwrite with -m0, eliminating filesystem readahead with
-a0) and turning off enough BIOS features, I finally have a drive that
works fine with no errors. It is not a problem with the drive, it is a
problem with how Linux handles UDMA drives. My suspicion is that these
drives take longer to complete certain operations and Linux is not willing
to wait. In addition, there is a problem with the UDMA spec that uses a
code that used to mean an error in the ide spec. I think the 2.0.36 kernel
will have this fixed.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!