Re: FYI: DMA/33 and kernels

On Sat, Oct 17, 1998 at 01:11:25PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:

> In my case, no, it is definately a problem with the linux ide driver and
> how it handles UDMA drives. I have seen exactly the same problem on two
> different systems with two different hard drives of different manufacture
> with different motherboards and chipsets. Once I got enough features
> disabled (turning off the drive's internal readahead with hdparm -A0,
> turning off multiwrite with -m0, eliminating filesystem readahead with
> -a0) and turning off enough BIOS features, I finally have a drive that

I have had two Quantum drives basically eat themselves (the sound they make is like an old window shade spring suddenly snapping back with a 'whirr' noise). They have been UDMA drives, running on an Asus MB with a K6-233, and Debian 2.0 running the default kernel. So I am very much interested in what you report!

In addition to the hdparm params you suggest, I wonder if you would be kind enough to list some of the BIOS features that  are also suspects in this UDMA conundrum? In both cases that I mentioned above I had turned off the 'auto' UDMA detect, so that the drives were being recognized as just LBA, Mode 4 (is that right?, my memory is foggy here...).

Thanks a bunch,

Bob Bernstein