Re: Format of .deb files

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 12:06:25PM +0100, Moore, Paul wrote:
> I am trying to get to grips with Debian, and I'd like to browse through
> the documentation. The problem I have is that my Debian PC is at one
> home, whereas the PC where I have the most chance to read documentation,
> print things out, follow up references, etc, is at work. My current work
> PC is Windows only [:-(] but it does have a CD drive and I have the
> Debian CDs.

I guess your home PC can't be acessed from work (ie having it online)
too bad...I need to set mine up (one of these days) to let me tell it
to conenct remotely.

> My question is, basically, can I extract files from .deb format packages
> on a Windows box? Presumably, .deb files are internally some form of
> tar/cpio archive - can I get at the tar so that I can unpack it (I have
> Windows gzip, tar, etc utilities).

thay are...

ar is the top level used...
user ar to extract that and there will be a couple of control files and
a .tar.gz

Winzip should be able to take it from there.

> If not, is there any other way I can browse the documentation (/usr/doc,
> /usr/man, /usr/info) for debian while not actually at a PC with debian
> running? Is it available on the web?

hmm well... with dwww there is an entire web interface to documentation
I don't know if anyone has dww publicly available for browseing

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"