Re: Exchange root and swap partitions?

In <"BwTCcC.A.87D.CLvJ2"@murphy>, on 10/16/98
   at 12:01 AM, kaynjay@igalaxy.net said:

>Problem.  Not enough space for my root partition on hdb.  At 100% use, I
>can't even send messages.  I'd like to shrink a DOS partition on hda,
>expand the adjacent Linux swap partition into the freed space, then
>switch the root and swap partitions.  One additional issue:  I'll be
You don't really have to move everything around unless you have other
reasons too.  Consider this alternative:
Just shrink that dos partition, and create an extra partition in the  free
space.  Then use 'du' and find a subdirectory on the existing root that is
approximately that size, and move that subdirectory only to the new
partition.  (Change the directory to a mount point for the new partition)
Less data to move around, less work.  Moving the root can be tricky at
times.

>redoing OS/2's Boot Manager in the middle to get the new partition on the
>menu.  This will need a format of the swap partition to something OS/2
>recognizes.  Afterwards, I'll redo the fs for that partition.
Os/2's boot manager does not need to understand the partition it boots!
You can run os/2's fdisk and add anything to the menu, even linux
partitions.  OS/2's fdisk will display a linux partition as "type 83", a
linux swap partition will show up as "type 82"
There is no need to temporarily format the partition for os/2, it does not
need a drive letter for this to work.
If os/2 won't add linux to the boot menu then it may be some other
problem, such as the infamous 1024 cylinder limit.  If this bothers you,
put the kernel in a small partition of its own below cyl 1024, and install
lilo in that partition's boot sector.  You don't have to move root for
this.

>Is this possible??  Is the resizing/formatting a problem?? I saw an
>earlier post about moving root to a new partition but that didn't seem to
>cover this problem.  I'll have sufficient swap afterwards, FWIW.
Resizing and formatting should work fine.  If you want to move root like
this, change the partition type, run mkfs, and then do the copying. Use
the correct parameters so that links, mount points and the files in /dev
are copied correctly.
You do have enough RAM to run without swapping while making the transfer?

Helge Hafting
helge.hafting@daldata.no