Re: I can't compile anymore

> I've trashed something. I've installed gcc from the 2.0 disks, it
> doesn't compile the linux kernel. Tried installing egcc, nope. It
> doesn't find some files. Tried downloading egcc from the slink
> directory. Same error.
>
> So this is the error I get when compiling kernel 2.1.125 with egcc:
>
> root@penny:/usr/src/linux # make xconfig
> rm -f include/asm
> ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> egcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
> In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
>                  from scripts/split-include.c:26:
> /usr/include/errnos.h:24: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [scripts/split-include] Error 1
> root@penny:/usr/src/linux #
>
> What shall I reinstall to get that file at his place ?

linux/errno.h is in libc6-dev.  You also should not try to compile 2.0
kernels with egcc, use gcc2.7.2 instead.  The problem is that the 2.0
kernels contain some bugs that are exposed only by the more agressive
optimization techniques present in egcc.  The 2.2 kernel-to-be will not
have these bugs anymore (well, it is supposed not to have them).

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032