Exchange root and swap partitions?

Problem.  Not enough space for my root partition on hdb.  At 100% use, I
can't even send messages.  I'd like to shrink a DOS partition on hda, expand
the adjacent Linux swap partition into the freed space, then switch the root
and swap partitions.  One additional issue:  I'll be redoing OS/2's Boot
Manager in the middle to get the new partition on the menu.  This will need
a format of the swap partition to something OS/2 recognizes.  Afterwards,
I'll redo the fs for that partition.

Is this possible??  Is the resizing/formatting a problem?? I saw an earlier
post about moving root to a new partition but that didn't seem to cover this
problem.  I'll have sufficient swap afterwards, FWIW.

Thanks for any help!

Kenward
kaynjay@igalaxy.net