Re: Internet pon help

At 03:40 PM 10/14/1998 -0500, Chesshome wrote:

> I ran "/usr/doc/pppconfig" but came into a nother problem when I tried to
run
> "pon" it gave me a errer "/usr/sbin/pppd: infile /etc/ppp/peers/provider:
> unrecognized option '/dev/modem' " Agian can someone help me?
>
> thank's
> chesshome

/dev/modem is a symlink (a "shortcut" in Win95-Speak); it needs to point to
the
real device file where your modem is (probably /dev/ttyS0 for Com1 or
/dev/ttyS1 for Com2). Type
ls -l /dev/modem
and the first character will be an "l" indicating that this is a link; the
tail
end of the line will look something like /dev/modem --> /dev/ttyS1
which means the /dev/modem file is a link/pointer to /dev/ttyS1.

You can either change the reference in the provider file, or you can change
the
symlink. To change the symlink, delete the current /dev/modem file by typing
rm /dev/modem

Then create a new file by typing
ln -l /dev/modem /dev/ttyS0
(I THINK this is the correct syntax -- I'm doing this from memory). You can
also remove the file and replace it in one step, but if I can't remember for
sure the syntax of creating a link, you think I can remember the syntax for
doing both in one step?

 Make sure you use the correct /ttySx for where your modem is.

Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!