Re: Internet pon help
- To: Chesshome <email@example.com>, debian <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Internet pon help
- From: Jim Foltz <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:55:21 -0400
- Message-id: <19981014175521.A4871@home>
- Reply-to: Jim Foltz <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <000f01bdf7b2$f252e480$836497d1@rwood>; from Chesshome on Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 03:40:56PM -0500
- References: <000f01bdf7b2$f252e480$836497d1@rwood>
/dev/modem does not exist unless you create it. You have a couple of
First, in the /etc/ppp/peers/provider file, you can change /dev/modem to
your real modem device: try /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1 ...
Second option, make a symbolic link from /dev/modem to your real modem device.
# ln -s /dev/modem /dev/ttyS#
where # is the number of your real modem device.
Then, use adduser to add your normal non-root login to the dip group:
# adduser non-root-user dip
So you don't need to be root to start a ppp session.
On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 03:40:56PM -0500, Chesshome wrote:
> I ran "/usr/doc/pppconfig" but came into a nother problem when I tried to run "pon" it gave me a errer "/usr/sbin/pppd: infile /etc/ppp/peers/provider: unrecognized option '/dev/modem' " Agian can someone help me?
Jim Foltz <email@example.com>