Re: More robust filesystem?

On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 03:50:20PM +0200, Alex Shnitman wrote:
> Peter Iannarelli writes:
>
>  > You could put a directive in your crontab to issue a sync
>  > every 5 minutes of every hour of every day.
>
> That's not quite the issue - Linux syncronizes its buffers whenever it
> has a chance anyway. What I'd like to know is whether there is a way
> to minimize the damage in the case of a "reset" when the machine was
> busy.

hmm....

A few ideas come to mind...

1) Stop it from happening...
cut the wires that goto the reset button...replace it with a key
switch.... other bits of wiring...

2) mount as much as possible read-only. (/usr /etc )

3) On a network? NFS mounts don't seem to mind this abuse at all
is NFS-root not an option?

not too much I can think of other than hacking your kernel...

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"