More robust filesystem?

Hi.

We're using Debian workstations in our labs, and as expected they
rarely get shut down properly, many times they are just reset or
switched off, either due to ignorance or not caring. The question is
whether there is a way to configure the kernel to issue updates to the
meta-data more frequently, even in expense of performance? Or what
else can I do to keep the filesystems on the workstations more stable,
in addition to user educating on which we're of course working?

--
Alex Shnitman
shnitman@mail.jct.ac.il, alexsh@linux.org.il