Re: Getting at Debian distribution files

"Moore, Paul" <Paul.Moore@uk.origin-it.com> writes:
| I'm trying to install Debian on a PC at work. I have the Debian 2.0
| Official CD from CheapBytes, which installed fine on my home PC (which
| has a CD drive).
[snip]
| I have a network connection, so I could get the stuff from the debian
| ftp site directly, but I'm behind a firewall. Dselect does offer the
| chance to put in a proxy name/IP address, but it asks for a
| username/password, which my firewall doesn't need...
[snip]

So how does your firewall work? I'm also behind a firewall and I
regularly use dselect, with the ftp method, to upgrade/install
packages from the debian ftp site. Say you were manually doing an
anonymous ftp to the debian mirror of your choice, how would that
work?

For example, behind our firewall I'd do:

ftp firewall
Name: anonymous@ftp.debian.org
331-(----GATEWAY CONNECTED TO ftp.debian.org----)
331-(220 santanni.cc.gatech.edu FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-15](4) Thu Feb 12 17:00:23 EST 1998) ready.)
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password: <my email address>
[message from debian anonymous ftp server goes here]
ftp>

and I'm in. You can easily get dselect to work with such a firewall
scheme.

Gary